A widely accepted software decision support tool for diagnostics of dementias is not yet available. There is a clear need for a tool that is able to integrate heterogeneous information measured from patients and provide a risk score for each patient. The lack of such tools has been identified as a major challenge with high impact. This work package develops a software tool that can be used for supporting early differential diagnostics of dementias. In order to enter clinical practice, the tool must be simple to use and provide information that is relevant for making diagnostics decisions. In short, clinical user requirements are central to the tool’s design and implementation.
It is anticipated that research tools generate information (e.g. biomarkers & measures) relevant for diagnostics or monitoring of disease progression. On the other hand, the clinical decision support tool can generate information that is relevant for disease modelling purposes. Therefore seamless connectivity of the research and clinical platforms must be guaranteed.
Considering the effectiveness of various treatments (medication & psychosocial care), they should be started as early as possible. If patients first enter the hospital when their memory is already severely affected, it tends to be too late for starting some of the treatments. Therefore, cost-efficient approaches for detecting high risk patients and channelling them to detailed diagnostics studies at an early phase are welcome. In addition to expensive governmental dementia screening programs, citizens should be empowered to screen their own health and risk for certain diseases. This work package will also demonstrate the use of a portal designed for citizens to evaluate their risk for dementias and ways to integrate this portal to the research and clinical platforms.
- To design the use cases and specifications for the clinical platform.
- To implement a clinically useful decision support tool for early differential diagnostics of dementias.
- To implement risk scoring portal for citizens.
- Use cases and functional specification of clinical platform
- Clinical decision support system for early differential diagnostics
- Implementation of stand-alone platform
- Implementation of integrated platform
- Engaging citizens in dementia prevention